General Advice

Keep an eye out for one-time funding opportunities like the ones listed below. One-time funding can be valuable for initiating monitoring.

  • Communicating the benefits of the monitoring program is key to sustaining it. Showcase what you are doing and how you are using the results to inform land management.  The AIM Team is available to help you communicate through presentations, the SharePoint site, BLM Dailies, etc.
  • Talk to other programs in your Field, District, or State Office. AIM Core Indicators can address many management questions, and one monitoring effort may meet many different needs.
  • Engage other agencies as well. For example, EPA, US Forest Service, and Fish and Game departments are actively involved in AIM efforts and may be able to assist with funding in some cases.
  • Consider potential trade-offs when deciding whether to conduct AIM monitoring in-house vs. through external parties (e.g., agreements). Conducting AIM monitoring in-house may keep costs down but may require a more time-intensive hiring process and longer-term funding commitments.  In contrast, conducting monitoring through an external party may be more expensive but be simpler administratively and more compatible with one-time funding.
  • If you seek a partner to conduct monitoring, be aware of the differences in cost and services. Some crews cost less but require more BLM supervision and training, whereas other partners cost more but operate more independently. Also, sometimes there are existing agreements with your state that can streamline the process -contact your state AIM coordinator.
  • First-year costs are often slightly higher because of having to purchase equipment. Good equipment management can keep costs down in future years.
  • Tablets for field data collection can be borrowed from the NOC (contact Baili Foster,

Funding Resources

 BLM Internal One-Time Funds through Annual Work Plan (AWP) (Note that the choice of subactivity depends on what type of monitoring you propose to do, e.g., aquatic vs. terrestrial)

  • 1010: Soil, Water, and Air
    • Cooperative Landscape Conservation (often known as “climate change”)
  • 1020: Range and Invasive Plants
  • 1040: Riparian
  • 1060: Wild Horses and Burros
  • 1110: Wildlife
    • Sage-grouse
  • 1120: Fisheries
  • 1150: Threatened and Endangered Species
  • 1310: Oil and Gas
  • 1340: Renewable Energy
  • 1610: Planning
  • 1711: National Landscape Conservation System (National Monuments and National Conservation Areas) – can apply for funding related to specific units
  • Healthy Lands Initiative (cross-subactivity)

BLM Internal Funding – Other

External Funding – BLM Only (Note that type of monitoring proposed must match the particular funding call)

External Funding – BLM With Partners (Note that partnership and type of monitoring proposed must match the particular funding call)

Potential Partners (alphabetical order)

  • Americorps
  • Chicago Botanic Gardens
  • GeoCorps
  • Great Basin Institute
  • Natural Heritage Program
  • Other Federal agencies – ARS, NRCS, USFS (Enterprise teams), USGS
  • Retired Federal employees
  • Rocky Mountain Youth Corps
  • Student Conservation Association
  • University

Need Help Creating an Agreement Form?

Please contact the NOC (Baili Foster at for assistance creating and understanding your cooperative agreement form.

Comments are closed